- Your metabolism slows as you get older, probably due to a reduction in muscle mass
- Restricting your calories too much slows your metabolism. If you don’t eat enough, your body goes in to starvation mode, and slows down the metabolism
- Aerobic exercise raises the metabolic rate during and for a few hours after exercise. Anything that get’s you out of breath is good: running, cycling, fast walking, swimming etc. the more vigorous the better!
- Add muscle. By doing resistance exercise and building muscle your metabolism is raised. Muscle is a metabolically active body tissue, so will burn calories even at rest.
- Eat regularly, ideally spread your daily food intake between 3 meals and 2 snacks. Digestion of food raises the metabolism
- Eat protein at each meal. Protein foods eg. Meat, chicken, fish, eggs, stoke up the metabolism as the body uses more calories to digest than carbohydrate or fat
Top Posts & Pages
- Seriously Healthy Flapjacks - no butter or sugar
- Cocoa Bar recipe
- Frightening Calcium Facts
- Bigger, Faster and Stronger - with 5 no nonsense tips
- Recovery Nutrition - supplement drinks
- Top 5 foods for lowering cholesterol
- Healthy meal - what does it LOOK like?
- Breakfast - fuelling the Team Sky way
- Diabetes - taking control
- 4 no effort meals
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets