A perfectly ripe avocado can be difficult to find, and in my experience they can be either rock hard (the one’s from the supermarket) or too mushy (the ones from my local vegetable market). Many people aren’t keen on the messiness that can be involved to prepare them.
Here is a fab new idea from Tesco: frozen avo’s that have been destoned and peeled. They are at a good price too: £2.50 for about 9 halves.
Although high in calories, avocados are little bombs of nutrition with a multitude of health benefits:
- monounsaturated fats which lower the bad blood cholesterol and raise the good
- The fats enhance absorption of fat soluble vitamins A, D, E & K
- Fats and fibre are slowly digested, so making you feel full up for longer
- High in vitamin E, A and B vitamins
- Twice the potassium of a banana – potassium lowers blood pressure
- Very low in carbohydrate/sugar
- people who regularly eat avocado are more likely to have a lower body weight, BMI and waist circumference
So what can you do with a frozen bag of avocados?
Green Smoothie Breakfast – blend 200ml water, 1/2 avocado, a kiwi, a handful of greens e.g. spinach or kale, juice of half a lime, some ginger, and a tablespoon of Total greek yogurt.
Defrost and simply use sliced or mashed and piled on wholemeal toast with some salt and pepper, egg, strawberries or tomatoes.