A very large study followed people for between 17 and 19 years to see if maintaining ideal levels of seven health factors promoted cardiovascular health and reduced the risk of cancer.
5 out of the 7 factors are directly related to diet……..
The seven health factors and their ideal levels are:
1) physical activity – at least 75 minutes per week of vigorous physical activity, or 150 minutes per week of moderate or moderate plus vigorous activity
2) healthy body mass index (BMI)
3) healthy diet – good intakes of fruit & veg, fish, nuts, seeds, legumes, high fibre. Low salt, saturated fat, sugar and processed meats.
4) cholesterol – total cholesterol less than 200mg/dl
5) blood pressure – less than 120mm Hg systolic and 80mm diastolic
6) blood sugar – fasting levels of glucose less than 100mg/dl
7) smoking – never smoking, or quitting more than 12 months ago
The message is clear!