Super Healthy Flapjacks – no butter or sugar

It can be frustratingly difficult to find a healthy flapjack recipe that isn’t loaded with butter, sugar or syrup. If you would rather not load up on these ingredients, here is an alternative recipe to try.

I whip up a batch of these most days. During school holidays it’s twice a day (note to self: just make a double batch and be done with it!).  Here’s why they are so great:

• Very quick to prepare the mixture
  • No sugar, syrup or butter.
  • Ripe bananas and honey/raisins add the sweetness.
  • Oats provide soluble fibre to keep you feeling full up, reduce cholesterol, keep your digestive system healthy and blood sugar levels steady. New oat recipes!
  • Berries/Raisins are choca-block full of antioxidants and fabulous phytochemicals
  • Seeds/peanut butter are full of protein and good fats.
  • For extra protein e.g. as post exercise snack, you can add a scoop of protein powder

Top tip 1 For a seriously healthy and delicious Bircher Muesli breakfast, keep a few of tablespoons in a bowl overnight in the fridge. Add more milk or some yogurt.

Top tip 2 Did you know that the chunkier the oat the slower it is digested and will keep you full up for longer?

Basic Flapjack Ingredients:

2 mashed bananas – the riper the better as sweeter and easier to mashUnknown-3 IDShot_90x90-2

150g porridge oats (about 2 handfuls)

150ml milk

Optional extras (I usually add berries, peanut butter and raisins): image

handful of whole/chopped/ground up seeds – I grill pumpkin and sunflower seeds then grind in a pestle and mortar

tablespoon of cocoa powder for chocolate flapjacks

raisins

dessicated coconut

1 cup frozen berries (defrosted) Unknown-4

1 tablespoon honey

1 tablespoon peanut butter

image 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed with a little extra milk (very good for constipation!)

Mix all the ingredients together. Put in to cake tin lined with greaseproof paper, or silicone bun cases. You can also make them in to cookies by placing the mixture in cookie shaped blobs on the greaseproof paper.

Bake for about 40 minutes at 170 degrees C. Or until they are browning and you can smell the lovely aroma……..this is my method to check for readiness as I usually forget to look at the time I put them in! Enjoy playing around with variations of ingredients 🙂

If you like these, you’ll also LOVE Seriously Healthy Pancakes (2 ingredients), and Low Sugar Biscuits

Advertisements

24 thoughts on “Super Healthy Flapjacks – no butter or sugar

1. Amie says:

Thank you so much for this recipe. My son (5yrs) has been having school dinners for the last three weeks and has begged me for a packed lunch instead as the food is over processed and full of sugar. He loves hard boiled eggs and humus along with lots of other good for you main course packed lunches so I think I’ve got those covered for now (or at least the next week!). I wanted to give him a desert that will keep him going until 3:15 when I collect him, so we cooked up a batch of your flapjacks together today and he loves them. Now I just need to convince Hertfordshire school dinners company to make it and scrap their chocolate cake and chocolate chip cookies that they are giving for dessert with custard poured on top, that’s after the chips for mains! …

• sarahdietitian says:

Hi Amie, thank you for your comment, it made me very happy 🙂 I am delighted that you and your son approve of the flapjacks. I sent my girls (8 and 6) to school to day with some in their pack lunch (one had hers with raisins in, one without). I agree that school dinners can be a minefield, at my kids primary school we’ve just started a school dinners working group with the aim of bringing some positive change!

2. Denise says:

Thanks so much for this simple but fab recipe!
    It was perfect to get my 2yr d son and 3yr old friend cooking today.
    And they both loved them.
    We only had 1 banana so we added a little extra milk & all the extras..honey, raisins, coconut flakes & peanut butter.
    I’ll definitely be making these again!

Thanks 🙂

3. Natasha says:

Thanks for this incredible recipe! My 5 yr old and 2 year old can’t get enough. I add lots of dates and dried apricots plus a handful of mixed seeds like sesame (to increase calcium). They just love them.

Have you ever tried freezing them… Would love to take them camping and use them as healthy museli bars?

Thanks!

4. Rachel says:

I made these flapjacks last night. I really like the recipe. I have 1 question though. The flapjacks were crispy at the top but the bottom was wet. Is this wetness because of the banana or should i bake them in the oven for longer? I left them in for 45 mins at 150 degrees fan oven. Thanks.

• sarahdietitian says:

Hi Rachel, thanks for trying the flapjacks 🙂 Nobody like a soggy bottom!! These flapjacks may not be crispy on the bottom, but they should be too wet either. Make sure that as soon as they come out of the oven you put them straight on a cooling rack…..don’t let them sit in the baking tray or on greaseproof paper as they will ‘sweat’, making them hold on to the moisture. If you like an even dryer bottom, you can remove them from the baking tray and put back in the oven at a higher temperature (say, 180 degrees) straight on to the baking rack. Hope that helps!

5. Andrew says:

As part of my New Year resolution to lose a bit of weight, I made these yesterday instead of my normal recipe involving brown sugar and golden syrup. They are great! So easy to make and perfect for a healthy snack. I’ll definitely try some more of your recipes. Thank you!

6. Tanya says:

Thank you. I was looking for a healthier treat. I just made these with sultanas and chopped walnuts. Really lovely

7. Gemma says:

Thank you very much for this recipe. I was looking for a healthy grab-and-go breakfast as well as a sweet treat for my 1 year old and these fit the bill perfectly. I used crunchy hazelnut butter as well as sultanas and a dried cherry berry mix I had left in the cupboard. Really delicious considering no sugar. I found the chunkier the oats though, the soggier the bottom as they didn’t absorb the mixture quite so well.

8. Amanda says:

I sometimes make too much porridge and was thinking turning it into flapjacks based on this would be a great way to use it up – just add the dried fruit, coconut, honey etc and bake. Going to try it out and see what happens 🙂 The dog will not be pleased!