- Your metabolism slows as you get older, probably due to a reduction in muscle mass
- Restricting your calories too much slows your metabolism. If you don’t eat enough, your body goes in to starvation mode, and slows down the metabolism
- Aerobic exercise raises the metabolic rate during and for a few hours after exercise. Anything that get’s you out of breath is good: running, cycling, fast walking, swimming etc. the more vigorous the better!
- Add muscle. By doing resistance exercise and building muscle your metabolism is raised. Muscle is a metabolically active body tissue, so will burn calories even at rest.
- Eat regularly, ideally spread your daily food intake between 3 meals and 2 snacks. Digestion of food raises the metabolism
- Eat protein at each meal. Protein foods eg. Meat, chicken, fish, eggs, stoke up the metabolism as the body uses more calories to digest than carbohydrate or fat
One thought on “Raise your metabolism – the rate your body burns calories. 6 facts”