Being a bit of a foodie, but short on time, I love to find something new to feed the family.
I would love to be more organised with food shopping, but am usually juggling dietetic clients, lecturing (that’s teaching actual real-life university students, not giving my own 3 children the third degree, although I also do that most of the time), looking after said children and generally running the house.
It was 2.55pm, I had been at my laptop most of the day writing patient reports, and I had to pick my the children up from school at 3.15. No snacks of any use in the house to satisfy ravenous little people’s large appetites. All I could muster was some frozen tortilla wraps, a near empty jar of pesto and some cheddar cheese.
Sometimes the best results come from these moments of desperation. Like when you have to panic buy a top to wear from the supermarket (for whatever reason), and it becomes a favourite that lasts for years.
Child and adult friendly, these tortilla pizzas are fabulous as a snack, in a lunch box or on a picnic. These are very adaptable so you can add or subtract ingredients (although keeping the wraps is kind of fundamental to the whole operation).
I find that with fewer ingredients the filling of the ‘pizza sandwich’ is less likely to fall out while walking. If we’re at home or if it’s in the lunch boxes, I might add grated carrot, ham or tuna. Experiment to your heart’s content!
- 2 tortilla wraps
- tablespoon of pesto or ready made tomato sauce e.g. Dolmio
- Fillings of your choice (optional)
- grated cheese
- Lightly oil a non-stick frying pan, allow to heat up on a fairly high heat.
- Add one tortilla wrap to the pan, spread on the pesto/tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle on the cheese and other fillings.
- Add the top tortilla.
- When the bottom tortilla is browning and a bit crispy, carefully flip the tortilla sandwich over with a spatula
- Cook for two minutes on the other side.
The cheese will have melted and the wraps should be nice and crispy. Chop in to quarters or sixths. Can be eaten hot or cold.