I had the pleasure and luxury of pootling through Kingston Market this morning by myself. I don’t usually take the time to slow down and browse, so was delighted to come across 4 avocados, lovely and ripe, for £1.
Although very high in calories, avocados are little nutrition bombs with a multitude of health benefits:
- monounsaturated fats which have heart health credentials (lower the bad blood cholesterol, raise the good)
- Fats enhance absorption of fat soluble vitamins A, D, E & K
- Fats and fibre good for appetite control
- High in vitamin E, A and B vits
- Twice the potassium of a banana
- Anti inflammatory compounds – may be protective against cancer
- Very low in sugar
- people who regularly eat avocado are more likely to have a lower body weight, BMI and waist circumference
So what the heck will I do with 4 ripe avocados?
- Green Smoothie Breakfast – blend 200ml water, 1/2 avocado, a kiwi, a handful of greens e.g. spinach or watercress, juice of half a lime, some ginger, and a tablespoon of Total greek yogurt (high in protein).
- Simply sliced and piled on wholemeal toast with some salt and pepper
- In Superfood Salad
- Mashed as a substitute for mayonnaise
- Freeze the rest! Best results if they are pureed with some lemon or lime juice and stored in an air tight container.
Apparently, avocados are also good for the wrinkles…….definitely something I need then (I think I have aged about 10 years in the last two). In fact, scrap the recipes I’ll be slapping this stuff straight on to my face!