Here’s a recipe for ice cream made with protein powder. I used Kinetica Whey Protein Strawberry flavour. It is a much healthier version of standard ice cream, as it is low in fat, and high in protein, and has healthier carbs. Perfect as a post workout recovery snack, or just for something delicious on a hot day.
- 208kcal, 18g protein, 25g carbohydrate, 4g fat
- Normal ice cream per 100g (3/4 cup): 200kcal, 3.3g protein, 23g carbohydrate, 11g fat
Why it’s better than standard ice cream:
- cream replaced with whey protein powder, yoghurt and milk.
- higher in protein – for muscle repair and muscle building, makes you feel full up for longer.
- lower in fat – 17% calories from fat, compared to 50% in standard ice cream
- healthier carbs – banana and milk replace sugar. Carbs used for muscle repair and building (helps to shuttle protein in to muscle), replaces glycogen used up during exercise.
- banana provides vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and soluble fibre.
- you can have a larger portion size than standard ice cream as it is lower in kcal.
You can use any flavour of protein powder that you like, I used strawberry. I don’t have an ice cream maker, but I’m sure the results would be even better using one!
And the recipe…..(makes 2 servings):
30g any whey protein powder
250ml semi skimmed milk
2 tablespoons natural yoghurt
Whizz the ingredients in a blender, and pour in to a bowl. Place bowl in the freezer.
After about an hour, take out of freezer and stir using a whisk or fork. This is to break up the ice crystals. Try to get a smooth consistency.
Repeat this every 30 minutes/1 hour until the ice cream has been in the freezer for approximately 4 hours. If it is left longer than this, it can become quite solid, and will need to be left out of the freezer for a while to defrost a little before serving.