High in healthy fats and protein, low carbs.
The main ingredient in these healthy muffins is ground flaxseed. Flaxseed is a source of healthy fat, antioxidants, and fiber; rich source of micronutrients, dietary fiber, as well as manganese, vitamin B1, and the essential fatty acid omega-3.
Flaxseed can be bought in most of the big supermarkets or health food shops (it is the same as ground linseeds – my Mum tells me they used to put linseed oil on horses tails to make them healthy and shiny)
Add a little bit of honey/maple syrup/agave nectar/sweetener/raisins if you like (they can be a little bland without any sweetness!)
Nutrition info: 320 kcal, 1g carbohydrate, 16g protein
- 1/4 cup flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon light vegetable oil, such as olive oil
- optional sweetener of choice (1/2 teaspoon sugar/honey etc)
- In a coffee mug, stir together 1/4 cup of flax meal, 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, sugar/honey/sweetener if using and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Be sure to use a coffee mug, not a cup.
- Add 1 egg and 1 tsp. of oil to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Microwave the mug for 45 to 60 seconds.
- Pop the muffin out of the mug and enjoy.
Eat on the run, or serve with a high protein yogurt and berries.
Medical News Today article on Benefits of flaxseed